Monday, April 2, 2018

Polka Dot Basics, Part 1

My sons and I are having a fun (and short) visit with my mom, sister, and her family where they live near Annapolis, Maryland. This picture of my nephew sums up our trip.

.
We were at Barnes & Noble in Baltimore, and I asked to take his picture. This was the face he made.

Love this kid!

Anyway, before I left Ohio, I played around with a very old, very basic set from Papertrey...Polka Dot Basics. Just wanted to see what I could do with it. Here's my first card.



The color scheme is very '70s, and so much fun. The alternating colors of the polka dots were easy to achieve by inking and stamping twice, with the second impression offset from the first.

The polka dot border grounds the butterfly and unifies it with the sentiment. I do wish I'd stamped the sentiment in black rather than charcoal, though. It needs to stand out more. Alas! Charcoal it is.

The design is a bit busier than I usually make, but the colors make it work for me. What do you think?

Mercy, grace, peace, and love from Annapolis,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Color Layering Butterflies, Papertrey Polka Dot Basics
paper: Papertrey white
ink: Archival prickly pear, tiger lily; Hero Arts charcoal
accessories: coordinating dies, glue

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! Very retro indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too busy, but I see what you are saying about the black. Still, it is quite legible so not a big issue. Very 70s indeed! Add some hot pink and this brings me right back to the kitchen of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!