Thursday, February 8, 2018

Wonderful, Part 3

Reader Shannon asked for me to do a series on washi tape because she has quite the hoard of it. We'll, sadly, washi is one of those things I have tons of and rarely use...although it is handy for holding down dies. But I thought of Shannon when I made today's wonderful Christmas card.


Yesterday's wonderful card also used the wonderful die very simply (cut from plain card stock with no stamping or additional embellishment) so that the background created all the energy in the card. Today, however, the fabulously festive red wonderful carries the visual focus.

Color drives the eye. Strong color like this real red from StampinUp really drives the eye.



The washi tape border is bold and simple at the same time, creating a strong vertical to balance the strong horizontal of the sentiment. To make wonderful stand out a bit more, I made two layers of it.

I can't remember ever making a card like this, with a popped panel spanning the whole card vertically and leaving a small border along one side. But it's certainly a fun design and works so well with this set and the bold washi border. Lots of contrast in this card!

Anyway, Shannon, I'm afraid my washi expertise is, well, non-existent, and I encourage you to go to Julie Ebersole's blog Paper Trufflez. She's got lots of ideas for washi. Do a search and be amazed by her awesomeness.

I'm small fry compared to her.

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Wonderful
ink: Hero Arts forever green
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: craft foam, glue, washi tape

4 comments:

  1. This card is wonderful! The candy cane look of the washi really looks good next to the red die cut. I like how you framed it with the small black words. I don't have much washi which is fine since I don't use it for much more than holding down dies since I don't have a magnetic platform for my Big Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I adore the bold contrast! This is my favorite card yet this month and one of my top three so far this year. It's so simple, but it makes such a statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! You do "simple" better than anyone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!