Thursday, January 7, 2016

Snow Storm

Before we get to today's card, I want to pass along a question from reader Laura H., who asked me if the Tim Holtz Deco Sheets work well with dies. As I don't have a die cut machine of any sort, I'm useless to her on this, but perhaps one of you fine stampers can help her out. How do those glimmery, adhesive-backed sheets work with dies?

Thanks in advance!

Now, for the snow storm.

Generally speaking, I love white space. Well, duh. But sometimes--very rarely--my CAS-lovin' heart looks at a card with lots of white space and says, "Meh. Kick it up a notch."

That's what happened with today's card. Originally, there were just three snowflakes arranged in a lovely triangle over the sentiment. Boy, did it look blah. I suspect the sentiment is just too large and the snowflakes too spaced out. The idea of Winter Wonderland just didn't go with two smallish and one mediumish snowflake.


When I started adding the large and small snowflakes to the edges of the card, the whole design came together. The veritable snow storm of lovely purple flakes makes much more sense with the sentiment, lending some overall unity to the design.

So white space isn't always a good idea.

Wow. You have no idea how hard that was to type.

Supplies
stamps: A Muse Snow Crystals, Rubber Cottage sentiment
ink: VersaMagic pretty petunia, Memento Luxe black
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: rhinestones, corner chomper 



10 comments:

  1. That's the kind of snow storm I like!! Not the kind that's expected tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautifull card !
    And about decosheets and dies, yes ofcourse the can be die-cut. You know, Tim Holtz did invent the die-cut-machine Vagabond and that can cut all sort of paper, cardstock, thin metal sheets, fabric, cork etc etc. Decosheets are very thin so I think any die can be used and any sort of die-cut machine. On youtube there is a TimHoltz video showing him working with decosheets. I think it has to do with CHA 2014, not sure. And ofcourse Ranger has video's too. It must be possible to fins that video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I learn something new, and thanks to your blogspot, I now know about Tim Holtz deco sheets!...and thanks to Cecile Graven's comment, I was able to find the YouTube video where Tim Holtz demos deco sheets and says that these sheets are compatible with all die cuts and die cut machines! Here's the YouTube link --- he starts talking about deco sheets at the 30 sec. mark: http://tinyurl.com/decosheets

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I have been looking for the you-tube-video too. I do not know about tiny-urls, but I guess it is the same video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUaahXrJrcM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a Cuttlebug with Deco sheets and all types of dies, and the sheets are cut perfectly. I use a metal shim with almost all of my dies and that can make a great difference in the 100% cutting of the die. In my experience, these glitter sheets cut better than any of the other brands I have purchased in the past. Plus the glitter color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful winter card! AS I have mentioned before, I am unable to produce a card with a lot of white space and this is the 'ah, just right' version I can love. Don't get me wrong, I adore all your cards....I just can't do them :)
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love white and the lavender/purple you have used. Wonderful card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my. I think there will be some purple snowflakes in my near future! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous card! Especially the color of ink used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!