Thursday, April 9, 2015

Another Inspiration by Rosemary

Rosemary had a number of cards published in spring's Take Ten issue, and today, I'm going to share another card that I couldn't have made without her wonderful inspiration.

Rosemary's card has a strong visual triangle created by the three wood butterflies with buttons and thread. The large flower is soft and subtle, filling the white space with lovely curves, accented by a single rounded corner. Note how the thread creates antennae for the butterflies. Oh, yeah. Rosemary is a GENIUS!



My version of her card turned out to be very different from what I'd imagined. I wanted to use Papertrey's Peaceful Garden set and a dragonfly punch to make a vertical card with the exact same vertical layout Rosemary used. My plan was to use white card stock and green vellum for the dragonflies for a monochromatic card...again, like Rosemary had made.

As you can see, the end result went winging off in another direction altogether.



Did you see what I did there? Pun intended. *giggle*

Here's how it went down. The scrap I used was just tall enough for the bamboo stamp, but it was shorter than Rosemary's panel by a good bit. It looked very odd and off balance on a vertical card. Well, fine. If a design doesn't work one way, turn the card another way. Easy, right?

Yay!

Then, I punched my dragonflies and realized two things. First, they were too big for the bamboo...the perspective looked really weird, as if Jurassic Park dragonflies inhabited a miniature Lilliputian world. *shudder*

Second, the spindly bodies and wings of the dragonflies looked VERY strange against the bamboo...they sort of disappeared into the spindly bamboo. The similarity killed the design. I needed more contrast, just as Rosemary's graceful line-drawn flower contrasted with the solid wood butterflies.

So I pulled out a Martha Stewart butterfly punch and went to town. I punched butterflies in several colors before landing on SU's Bahama Breeze, or Baja Breeze or whatever. The blue and green were simply perfect together...soothing yet strong. The coordinating pearls were part of a gift from reader Christine when we exchanged loose glitter and Stickles. Perfect!

And what a delight to be inspired yet once again by Rosemary Dennis and Take Ten.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Peaceful Garden
ink: can't remember...pigments, though
paper; Papertrey white, SU Baja breeze (?)
accessories: Martha Stewart butterfly punch, half pearls, dimensionals, corner rounder


5 comments:

  1. I absolutely adored the way your card turned out, Susan! Trial and error always works out. Yes, it's Baja Breeze and I love that color...goes great with that bamboo.
    Hugs,
    Sunshine Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is so fresh and beautiful Susan. All that white is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS is why I start each morning with you. Just simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your colors are great and so is your design, Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!