Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Happy Birthday Monogram Fun Plus a School Project--ETA

Quick post since my computer was hijacked by a 14-year-old who needed to do a social studies project last night.

"If you wait 'til the last minute, it only takes a minute." Or five hours in one day. Whatever.

Anyway, here's a quick and fun card using an SU alphabet. I made this for Operation Write Home, so I used the HB for a generic Happy Birthday, but it would be fun to customize the initials for a particular recipient.




The line in between the letters was drawn with a Micron pen and ruler after the sentiment was stamped but before I stamped the letters. The letters were much easier to space and place using a stamp positioner with the line already in place.

ETA--This design was inspired by a corporate logo I saw in 1000 Bags, Tags, and Labels.

On a different note altogether, my younger son Jack had to make a food catapult for school. As you may know, Jack has autism and assembling something like that by himself is beyond his capabilities. We get excited when he can follow three-step instructions without help (and it took years of work to get that far), so the dozens of steps needed to build a catapult were going to require a lot of adult assistance.

Thank you, Google. I found a plan, bought the supplies, and helped Jack assemble this masterpiece!



It shot a mini marshmallow across our sizeable living room easily. I'm very proud of Jack, who did a great job following my verbal instructions for about four-fifths of the project...a lot further in than I had expected. At that point, he was done, but I made him stick with it despite the complaints. It was by far the best project I've ever done with him, which means he was pretty interested in building it. I sure hope future school projects can hold his attention that well!

Supplies
stamps: StampinUp, Papertrey
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: ruler, Micron pen, stamp positioner


5 comments:

  1. This is another perfect example of why you are the queen of one-layer, simple, CAS! So effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classy card. I LOVE that catapult. Looks like a great summer project with the kids. Looks like I will be Googling instructions myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classy guy card, Susan! And WTG you and Jack on the marshmallow launch!! I've got a raccoon that would have caught them in his teeth (apparently they love marshmallows!) and Jack would have gotten a big kick out of that! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. The card is CAS elegance. And congrats to Jack and you on your successful project completion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!