Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Mark and a Lesson in Ink

Here's a fun book mark I'm going to send to a friend I've been neglecting lately.



Perhaps you prefer it on a green backdrop.



Either way, you should know it took FOUR tries to get this very simple bookmark made. I struggled hugely with ink. The Hero Arts inks just wouldn't cooperate with the Papertrey stamps. Just. Would. Not.

The leaves looked blotchy and ugly. These are inks that I've used quite successfully with other Papertrey stamps, so it was particularly frustrating and annoying that they. would. not. work. with. Mighty. Oak.

Extra periods emphasize my pique. Because periods just aren't fun.

Speaking of which, have you heard the joke about periods being like Dementors? They suck the joy out of everything, and the cure is chocolate.

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Anyway, back to the inks. I really love the Hero Arts inks, but since they weren't playing nicely with this set, I pulled out my VersaColor, VersaMagic, and Memento Luxe inks. These are thick and creamy, and they've never failed me when it comes to stamping with clear stamps.

That's when I realized that I don't have the bright, happy greens that Hero Arts has in creamy, thick inks. The greens in my chalky, pigment inks are more olive-y. Which is fine, too.

But I love the bright, happy greens.

So the moral of this story is this: YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF INK OR TOO MANY COLORS.

Go buy more ink. You'll thank me for it.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Mighty Oak
ink: VersaColor, VersaMagic, Memento Luxe
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: ribbon, 1/8" circle punch, corner rounder

10 comments:

  1. I love your tag! Mighty Oak is one of my favorite set... although it's been a bit neglected lately. Must be time to pull it out again.

    You need to *run* to www.impresscardsandcrafts.com, and buy Impress Fresh Ink in: Basil, Olive, Celery, Grass, and Mojito. You will thank me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "sets" not "set" in my comment above. I think it's time for bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite sets of all time. Love the bookmark idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this bookmark! I think I'm going to make it... and use something other than Hero Arts inks. ;-) I'm in the middle of making a set of cards using Mighty Oak. It's been on my desk for a few weeks with three of five cards made. I should finish it off and put it on my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tag...and funny email...thanks for the smiles, Miss Susan! I actually have some new Memento dew drops sitting right next to me...3 sets. So many pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bookmark is beautiful. I fully intend to buy more inks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be sure to tell my hubby that you implored me to purchase more ink ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found that there can never be too many shades of green! Your bookmark is lovely. Hadn't heard the dementors joke. Made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this bookmark.. very pretty .. the colours and the stamps. Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you try "conditioning" those stamps with an eraser? I haven't tried Hero Arts inks with PTI stamps, but that usually fixes things when I've had that problem with SU inks.

    Love those fresh greens. What a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!