Thursday, December 12, 2013

Who Said Valentines Have to Be Red?

Okay, I'm something of a traditionalist when it comes to Valentines. I usually stick to red, pink, and black. But as I perused Take Ten (so many wonderful details in the latest issue!), I noticed a Valentine that was...wait for it...

wait for it...

orange.

Seriously? Orange?  Well, why not?

So inspired by the orange Valentine, I played around with some funky color combos and a little funky masking.




Cool Caribbean and tempting turquoise (both from SU) don't blend as nicely as I expected, but hopefully the bling makes up for it.




Hot pink and orange (Memento) always add energy to a design.

By the way, the color red used with spatter stamps makes me think of slasher movies, which I never watch, but the movie posters...well, I'm not going there. I've been screening comic books for my 14 year old, and comic books simply didn't have blood spatters in the olden days when I was 14. We had speech bubbles covering punch impacts with onomatopoeic words like "Kapow!" or "Blam!" Now, blood splatters from severed limbs and, well, again, I'm not going there. It's all rather nauseating.

And try telling a 14-year-old boy he can't have the Batman comics he wants for Christmas. Just call me Scrooge, or the Meanest Mommy Who Ever Lived. I'll own it.

All this by way of recommending that you don't use red with spatter stamps. Please. I don't need the nightmares....

Pink and orange, or blue, and feel free to happily spatter away.

But it might not work for Valentines. You be the judge.

I remain unconvinced.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Grunge Me, Heart Prints; Hero Arts (Happy Valentine's Day)
ink: SU and Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: heart punch, post-it note, rhinestones

3 comments:

  1. I like your colour experiments. I wouldn't mind receiving an unusually-coloured Valentine card - as long as it came with chocolates. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. These non-traditional Valentine colors work for me. I especially like the red/orange combo. I'm totally with you re the blood splatter look. I can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. Red spatters always equal blood. It sets off some kind of primal alert.
    Nice hearts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!