Friday, March 23, 2012

Variations

Thank you for your recommendations for stamps. So many stamps, so little time!

And now for a post, slightly delayed due to exhaustion.

It's sort of amazing how different a simple layout can be when you change the image, color, and card stock.

First up, a love card for my dear husband. Kraft, dark red, and brown really scream DUDE, don't they, even with Victorian-looking keys?


Next up, a smaller image means more white space, but the natural, flecked card stock and rust color of the lock preserve the masculinity of the card, which is for a college graduate moving directly on to graduate school. He'll care more about the check in the card that the card itself, I'm sure!


Finally, make the base white, change the image to a feminine silhouette, and brighten the color of it a bit, and you have a different feel altogether.



Note that the sentiments are all in Memento dark brown, yet on the different papers, they look so, well, different. All three cards use earth-toned shades (burgundy, rust, apricot), but again, the change in paper highlights each differently. I love how the apricot pops off the white!

Rounding the corners differently also changes the feel. The last card is soft and pretty, while the middle card is firm and decisive (that rounded lock made me want to round the corners, though I resisted!). The first card I shall not analyze too deeply since it's intended for my husband and I have a dirty English major mind.

And with that thought, I take my leave. My dear husband, by the way, just returned from overseas. This weekend will be family time, full of baseball practice, swim lessons, movies, dog walks, and steak. I hope your own weekend is full of family, friends, and fun!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Ink (Lock and Key, Simply Jane)
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey
accessories: Corner Chomper


7 comments:

  1. FAB selection of cards, CAS really IS perfect for guy cards isn't it?

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of all the cards. Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous CAS creations, Susan! And thank you for all of the tips you shared about changing up the cardstock base, ink colors, and rounding various edges to give each card its own look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. L-O-V-E all of them! Especially the use of the Simply Jane silhouette and the keys!!! Fabulous, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great that you mentioned change of colors - base to white, stamp to a brighter hue. dabbling in digital art for a very long time makes me apathetic to color relationships. this is a great call to the basics for me.

    anyway, they're all wonderful. I love the keys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red on kraft is just the BEST! Love that card~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!