Wednesday, March 21, 2012

More Keys...And A Not-So-Random Secret

Well, today I'm going to share a secret with you.

Yesterday's card, the one with the pink and orange keys...several of y'all commented and emailed me that it was "random."

Here's the secret.

There is nothing, not one tiny thing, random about that card. I spent about twenty minutes laying out the keys and deciding what colors to put where before I stamped a thing.

Yeah. I'm obsessive. And proud of it.

So, here's a card that is much more random. To create the key panel, I started with an oversized scrap and stamped a key in the middle. Then I worked out from there, using my gridded acrylic block to keep everything parallel or at right angles. Then, I trimmed the panel down using my clear quilting ruler and a craft knife.



The Lock and Key set from Papertrey Ink is amazingly easy to work with. What set or stamp have you bought recently that was easy for you? I'm interested in buying a few new things. I received a pleasant surprise when I did my taxes today, and mama needs some new stamps!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Ink
ink: Memento
paper: PTI white
accessories: dimensionals


9 comments:

  1. How nice that your tax return will provide you with some new stamps. Your details on how you laid out yesterday's card are so interesting. I have never planned my stamping in such fashion, but I recognize the beauty of detailed stamping. It's been quite some time since I've purchased any stamps so I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your key cards. As a stamp suggestion, how about Rosie Posie, if you don't already have it. The flowers are beautiful, and there are lots of interesting geometric possibilities with the hexagons. My other latest favorite is Beautiful Butterflies. I'll bet you could have a field day with Dot Spot, if you don't already have that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly me, I should have known as a longtime fan that you didn't make that design randomly. Love both cards; thanks for the tips.
    Now I am off to investigate the stamps that Joyce recommended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your style and your blogs. I follow QMI also. It's my experience that the most random looking things are actually the most thought out. Just like the most skilled athletes make it look so simple. Beautiful job, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think you'd have done the pink and orange card randomly - nothing done randomly would ever turn out that well! And besides, you always tell us how obsessive you are, and random and obsessive just don't go together!!

    The new stamp sets I just bought that are easy for me are two SU sets:

    Love and Sympathy that is perfect for a quick sympathy card (it has one very simple image, a great sentiment, and a great quote - so it makes it easy to turn out a lovely sympathy card in very little time, which sadly one often has to do).

    Fabulous Florets - two styles of flowers in different sizes and a lovely leafy stem. It is now my go-to set for floral cards and it seems so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the Beautiful Butterflies set, that's what I did my card with (7) and I did it totally random! :)
    Kemma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently bought a few stamp sets from WPlus9, and I love 'em! Folk Art Florals and Spring Tags are super easy to work with because they are solid image stamps that you can build with in different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever tried to use PTI's guidelines 1 or 2 grid sheets paper? I don't know if it would be something you might like to work with, or not. If you want to look at it, it's item #s 3225 and 3226. Like they offer on much of their printed paper, they may have a try before you buy option. If so, you can print out a small piece to see it before you buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My latest faves are Zig Zag by Hero Arts and Chevrons by A Muse Studio. Seeing a pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!