Sunday, March 18, 2012

Get Inspired by Packaging: Part 5

As we conclude our first "Get Inspired by" series, we're going to take a different direction with the inspiration photo:



Vanessa Spencer's cover for Take Ten is smashingly wonderful on every level: design, color, layout, theme. Until now, my Vanessa-inspired cards have focused on the layouts of the packaging, but today's card uses a different layout but is clearly inspired by her color choices and theme of "brown paper packages tied up with string."


The layout I chose is a classic CAS layout...simple and straightforward and taking advantage of the balanced spots in the upper left and lower right corners. But the use of kraft paper, a label, and the orange and cream color scheme shows a clear connection to Vanessa's packages. The "package" I chose to make the card for is a new baby...the very best package of all!

Plus, I deserve extra credit for using one of my scalloped circle punches. I just had to have those durn things, and now I find them so very hard to use! Here, it's quite successful, perfect for the Hero Arts label stamp (discontinued), accented with a heart and sentiment from PTI.

When an inspiration photo doesn't appeal in design, try lifting the theme and colors instead. The results can be fabulous!

And thus concludes the final post of the Get Inspired by Packaging series. I hope you enjoyed it!

On another note, I've spent a lot of time this weekend playing with my new beauty from Papertrey and have lots to share in the coming week. I hope you all have had a lovely weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Susan, your series has been wonderful. I don't think anyone could have checked it out and not gotten some inspiration from it. I've found it in every single day's offerings, and will be thinking of you as I make this whole line of kraft cards. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan! this has been a very interesting and helpful series. I often find those inspiration photos a bit overwhelming, and I love how you explained different ways to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It thanks so much for the clear and concise instructions. It's been a great experience. All the cards are wonderful. I plan to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience and insight in this wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great ideas. thanks so much.
    because of you i purchased the most recent ...take ten... and will look it over with new, fresh eyes! appreciate your insights and inspirationm, susan!
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the series, Susan. It's been a great lesson in looking for the potential for inspiration in images and other people's cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a happy card. There is just something about putting kraft with orange - they were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Susan. CAS can be so intimidating and blank spaces frightening. Appreciate the breakdown into bite size pieces for savoring and remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, thoroughly enjoyed your Packaging Inspiration Series. Until now I always felt that I needed to incorporate a little of everything in photo challenges vs. just selecting color or theme. Thanks for sharing the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. loved this one Susan. thanks soo much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thia has been such an interesting tutorial for those of us who look at things but don't 'see' what you do. I am going to look at mag covers in a totally different way now and when I'm stuck for inspiration I will review an old cover for ideas. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love giving and gifting stuffs with this kind of packaging design. It looks more classic and eco-friendly because of the paper package. Very innovative idea indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!