Sunday, March 11, 2012

Announcing a New Series on Simplicity: Get Inspired by...

Many of my readers have said they feel lost and intimidated when faced with inspiration challenges. How in the world can that purse or pillow or a photo of the Grand Canyon be the springboard for a card?!?! My hope is that this new series of posts on Simplicity will help replace those lost and intimidated feelings with confidence!

The first in the series is Get Inspired by Packaging. For the next few days, I'm going to post cards inspired by the cover of Take Ten Winter 2011, which shows some simply gorgeous packaging designs by Vanessa Spencer.




My goal was to convert these fabulous examples of clean-and-simple packaging into cards. The results are a variety of different layouts, some of which echo the packaging very straightforwardly and some of which go veering off in slightly different directions.

My point in showcasing this particular Take Ten cover is to demonstrate how one type of papercrafting project can inspire others. Plus, it's a pretty easy CAS inspiration to start with. We'll move onto more challenging inspirations (such as modern art and the Nabisco logo and that really cool table cloth at Target) as we go!

My first example hearkens to the packaging in the very back of the cover photo...the one with the baker's twine crossed in the center with an oval label covering the intersection.



Design Thoughts: It would be tough to thread the baker's twine through the fold in the card (not impossible, just tough), so I took a rectangle of kraft and wrapped it like the inspiration package and popped it up on a kraft card base. Instead of using an image on the oval as the packaging does, I added a sentiment, which allows me to give a distinct purpose and focus to the card.

Those of you who have die-cut machines and some fab label dies (and stamps to match!) will find this particular design quite easy. I just used one of my SU oval punches and to keep it simple, didn't mat it with the larger oval punch. The white card stock pops right off the kraft and allows a tiny little sentiment to be the main focal point of the card. Your eye can't NOT look at the sentiment, can it?

Here's a beautiful example of using a great design fairly literally. Tomorrow, we'll take a look at an example of varying a layout a bit more!

Note: I have family visiting from out of state this week, so postings after today may be a bit sporadic, as will be replies to questions. If I don't answer a question by the end of next week, please ask me again...it will have just fallen off my radar scope!!!!


18 comments:

  1. Such a creative design and you used kraft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. These kinds of challenges always chase away my mojo. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever card --- making it a present! I love it done in kraft; it makes it seem more like UPS brought you a surprise. This is really cute, Susan, and is a wonderful man card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interpretation of the inspiration photo. I'm looking forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interpretation of the inspiration photo. I'm looking forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Susan, wow! MUST ... CASE ... THIS ... CARD ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this card, and love the idea of your series. I know I am going to learn so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,

    a wonderful card you made from the inspiration and I'm looking forward to what will come next.

    xxx
    Anja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow, Susan, thanks for this, I shall be following avidly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susan, followed your link on SCS and so glad I did! Lovely card and I do get the inspiration immediately. Love kraft and white with the hint of red. Very eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I personally LOVE inspiration challenges so it will be fun to follow your series on this. Hugs, Audrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet, simple, cute, and easy to mail. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to do a series on inspiration challenges and how to interpret them! I really love this card - looking forward to the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really appreciative of the idea of this series. I don't really get inspiration challenges, so am looking forward to your take on how to interpret them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh wow, this is gorgeous! So simple, but so perfect! M x

    ReplyDelete
  17. CASEd in pink and posted on my blog (with credit to you) - thank you so much, Susan! I've learned and laughed a lot from reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!