Monday, December 12, 2011

Dude Congratulations

Before I share my card for today, let me thank you all for your comments so far on my crafting space post. Those comments make for fascinating reading! Y'all have given me lots of food for thought, and slowly, I'm achieving some clarity of vision for my craft space. If you haven't added your two cents to that post yet, please do. I just love having so many girlfriends give me advice!

Now for today's card, which is destined for my husband's nephew. Matt was graduated Saturday from an intensive, 18-month diesel mechanics school, and we are so very proud of him! Making a card for a not-quite-20-year-old man is tough, so I opted for a simple, natural feel. Kraft card stock, a fern stamp, and congratulations were all it took to create a card I think Matt will appreciate:


The fern growing up out of the corner of the card toward all that empty space seems a good visual metaphor for starting out in a new career, don't you think?

And here are a few things to think about regarding careers. There's a shocking shortage of skilled labor in this country, with over 200,000 thousand jobs unfilled because no one is qualified to do them. While young adults are protesting the lack of jobs and the burden of massive college loans, and while college presidents are including advice about accepting entry-level jobs at graduation ceremonies (oh, the horror!), Matt has smartly pursued studies that will yield him a tidy paycheck. His plan is to save as much as possible over the next five years so he can buy a house.

His momma did her job well, don't you think?

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Masculine Motifs
ink: Memento
paper: PTI kraft
accessories: none

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like his momma guided him skillfully in to adulthood and your card is simply super for the job

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card, and yes, his Momma did an excellent job! Congrats to Matt, and his whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is awesome, and Matt will love it. Congrats to him for choosing a path with a steady salary. Sounds like a smart young man, thanks to his momma! lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A HUGE congrats to your hubby's nephew! It's a great job that will pay him well :) Knew of the shortage in this area years ago already. Koodoes to him and praises to his mama :) Think the card will work well for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do need that skilled labor, but we'll have to change the mindset that college is a must for success.

    Congrats to Matt. I love your card. Now I'll take any room to don't use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making any card for a guy - especially after age 10 - is hard, but this card is beautiful
    And, I agree with Barbara about society's mindset on college degrees... my son the carpenter (without a degree) would agree too.

    Pat J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Momma did well :)
    The card rocks! Sure to be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your card is perfect for the job and sounds like Matt's Momma did a perfect job too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am an unemployed teacher this year.In Greece it is quite the opposite.It is much easier to find a job if you are a mechanic,a carpenter e.t.c. So i too agree that college degree is not a must for success.At least as far as money is concerned.
    Congratulations to Matt and his Momma
    Fantastic card

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Matt's Momma did a good job. She raised a sensible young man who has a great plan! Congratulations, Matt.

    Susan, your card is perfect, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly what I have been saying when I hear our president speaking about everyone getting a college degree....our society would stop running if we didn't have plumbers, electricians, mechanics, carpenters, etc...they are a valuable asset..go Matt!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!