Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Inspiration, Part 1

First of all, thank you for your encouraging comments on my Random Thoughts post. Seriously, by midafternoon I was back to normal and stamping up a storm. I made 18 Christmas cards in 50 minutes. Of course, they were mass production of one of my gray and red one-layer cards, but still. I now have 100 cards ready to send. Another 20 or so, and I'm good to go.

Several people have said they have a hard time dealing with inspiration challenges because they just aren't sure what to do or where to start. Let's take a look at how non-stamping magazines can inspire cards. Here's the inspiration page from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Christmas Ideas magazine.


When there's so much on the page, it's best to focus on one small detail that stands out for you. In this case, the focus for today's card is the white poinsettia wreaths on the mantle:


Isn't that PERFECT for a punched wreath! This is a pretty literal interpretation, using a small flower punch (each poinsettia is made of two flowers layered with a gemstone in the center). The sentiment was white-embossed.


For the card, the original inspiration wreath has been taken completely out of context and given space to breathe. So simple, so clean, so EASY. And I never would have thought about this particular arrangement without seeing that poinsettia wreath on the mantle in the picture.

Supplies
stamps: Anna Griffin
ink: SU white craft ink
paper: SU celery
accessories: white embossing powder, flower punch, glue pen, olive gemstones

13 comments:

  1. I love photo pictures like the one you are using. They help to get your mind working. LOVE your card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best inspiration-wise! I was visiting "Case Study" for the next challenge knowing I had nothing that equates to a large Christmas ornament, then I flick over to you and there is my answer a wreath of punched flowers (mine has a little more going on). Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really lovely card - very clean and simple.

    For me the inspiration are the colours - soft green, bright white and some bling!! I have a Christmas tree stamp that I might use for that colour scheme!! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. Love the inspiration point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your take on the wreath is lovely!

    And your stamping speed is amazing! You have inspired me to get in there and whip up the rest of my own cards (after work, anyway...I'll try to hang on to the inspiration!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exquisite!

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  7. So classy and beautiful! Wow, you send out a lot of Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beauty, glad you've recovered:0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a perfect reimagining of your inspiration piece. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good tips on using inspiration ideas from non-crafting magazines. I like your intepreation of the wreath. It looks especially good on the green cardbase.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the white on green! It's very clean and fresh! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!